The Biochemistry programme of the Department of Chemical Sciences is one of the science programmes established by the Evangel University right from its inception to develop in students appreciations for Biochemistry through intense laboratory activities and courses taught by committed academics with great wealth of knowledge from various niches of learning. This will enable them develop great interest in contemporary issues in Biochemistry and hence graduate to become a voice in the scientific community and be able to take/make policy decisions that would improve the well-being of humanity.
PHILOSOPHY OF THE PROGRAMME
The B.Sc degree in Biochemistry of the Evangel University is programmed to transfer various scientific and non-scientific skills to the students. This is possible because Biochemistry, as a polyhybrid science, sits at the confluences of many natural and applied sciences, medical and pharmaceutical sciences, and hence, draws heavily from these sciences to equip the students to meet the expectations of the society and the human resource requirements of the public and private sectors. As a natural science, the programme is packaged to integrate theoretical and practical aspects of the discipline to prepare our graduates for self-employment through acquisition of various skills such as entrepreneurial skills, good communication skill, information technology skill and above all good moral life-style.
MISSION: To produce quality graduates of Biochemistry who are morally, intellectually and technologically equipped to meet the scientific need of the nation for national development.
VISION: To be one of the African Frontline Centres for training of students of Biochemistry to meet the man power needs of the continent and beyond.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The main objectives of the B.Sc degree programme in Biochemistry include the following:
1. To instil in the students a sense of enthusiasm for Biochemistry, an appreciation of its application in different contexts, and to apply them in an intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience of learning and studying
2. To provide students with a broad and balanced foundation of biochemical knowledge and practical skills.
3. To develop in the students a range of transferable skills for solving both scientific and scientific problems and make them employable in both biochemical and non-biochemical sectors of the global market
4. To prepare students provide students with knowledge and skill base from which they can proceed to further studies in specialized areas of Biochemistry and inter-disciplinary areas involving Biochemistry.
5. To prepare students to the applications of inter- and multi-disciplinary approach to solve complex life problems.
6. To inculcate in the students an appreciation of the importance of Biochemistry in industrial, economic, environmental, technological and social developments.